Monday, July 15, 2013

Foreverland Concert 7/13/13




Life is a fickle thing. You expect one result and before you know it, you get something else. As I was sitting in a restaurant that night, the words BREAKING NEWS flashed across the screen. I expected to hear a guilty verdict in the murder of Trayvon Martin, but it wasn't meant to be. As I walked in a daze to the House of Blues to see Foreverland, I tried to push that in the back of my mind and enjoy the show.

Foreverland is a "different kind of tribute band" to Michael Jackson. There are no impersonators, no backtracks, no special effects. It's just an 18 piece band that includes 4 vocalists, 4 horn players, a rhythm section; and one bad ass night. And they don't just stand there and sing, they groove, move, scream, shout, shake their bodies down to the ground, and simply rock it. You can tell that they love Michael, they love what they do, and they love their fans. The crowd sent that love back with their dancing, singing the lyrics, and having a good time. I loved the fact that it was all ages, from toddlers to senior citizens. And it didn't matter if you only knew a few songs or the whole catalog, everybody was getting down, even the MJ impersonator that night to sketchy polyester wearing, Temptation reject wannabee, tampon hair dangling, creep. Guess good music brings them all out.

One of the moments that struck me was when they dedicated Man in The Mirror "To someone who really needs to take a hard look into the mirror. His last name is Zimmerman." A buzz went through the crowd at that name, we all knew exactly what he meant. Even though I have heard this song way too many times to count, it really hit home that night.

I really wish I could go into every detail of the performance, but they were so fucking awesome that at this point, you really need to see them RIGHT NOW. Like, now. I'm happy that even though the world is fucked up and humanity is going down the shit hole, Michael's music still resonates in the fans and can make the darkest days a little bit brighter.






Official Foreverland Website






No comments:

Post a Comment