Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Michael song of the weekend is....

Ever had a particular Michael song stuck in your head for days and exactly describes how you are feeling at that moment? Of course you have. I've listened to his music and it never fails: I'm on the road, at the gym, or in the comforts of my own home when it hits me: This song is the shit! How come I didn't realize it until know? Granted, I've listened to the song 439538453 times but in that moment it feels like the very first time.

So my song for the weekend..drum roll please...Baby Be Mine!




Yes, I know it says Human Nature, but I like this cover of him and fits with the song. Anyhoo, I feel that Baby Be Mine gets a bad wrap: a sappy filler, a cheesy attempt to get the girl, the stepsister of PYT, etc. True, it is easy to forget this single when you have Beat It, Billie Jean, and Human Nature to compete with. What sucks is that this song comes right after Wanna Be Starting Something, so after clapping my hands and screaming MA MA SE MA MU SA MU MA CU SA, here comes the cheese. 

However, I do believe that a great album gives you a multitude of scenarios and emotions, has peaks and valleys and not every song can be a hit (see coffee break). And you know what, with Thriller being the mega juggernaut that changed the music industry, BBM doesn't have to. It's one of those songs that creeps up on you: a sly, shy, but oh so adorable Michael had you sweating up a storm and dancing to the first track, now he's going to take it slow and seduce you with his voice. Any other person singing this song would get laughed at (or punched in the face by his buddies), because frankly, the song almost stopped and lived in Cheesyland. Heck, Michael could sing the phone book and make it the best. song. ever. 

Even if he did live in Cheesyland, think about this: Thriller, with all of it's zombies lurking in the dark, baby mama drama, babies dying, feelings of loneliness, overcoming barriers and paranoia, there are moments of brightness and happiness. And if a young Michael Jackson singing about love and rainbows distracts me from the cruelties of the world, I'll take it.



No comments:

Post a Comment